Three Access Language Paradigms

Lauren Wood lauren at sqwest.bc.ca
Tue Nov 18 20:29:43 GMT 1997

% From: Joe Lapp <jlapp at acm.org>
%
% It seems to me that so far the W3C has focused on using DOM
% as the language by which clients remotely access documents.
% Under DOM, clients view documents through CORBA interfaces
% that make the document look like a tree of XML objects.
% Once the W3C has established all of the necessary interfaces,
% a client will have full control over a document's contents,
% subject to DTD and access control constraints.

You should not confuse the use of OMG IDL to describe interfaces
with requiring implementations to use CORBA interfaces. The DOM
specification is quite clear that CORBA is not needed. OMG IDL
is simply used as a language.

>From the DOM spec:
"The Object Management Group Interface Definition Language
(OMG IDL) was chosen as it was designed for specifying language
and implementation-neutral interfaces. Various other IDLs could
be used; the use of OMG IDL does not imply a requirement to use a
specific object binding runtime. "

>From the DOM FAQ, at http://www.w3.org/DOM/faq.html
"We expect that the DOM can be implemented using CORBA,
COM, or Java Virtual Machine runtime bindings."

Lauren

--

Lauren Wood, SoftQuad, Inc.
Chair, W3C DOM Activity