CSS2 and XML tables

Neil Bradley neil at bradley.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 20:36:59 GMT 1997

     The CSS2 proposal mentions XML (thank goodness) several times,
     and even CSS1 had the capability to specify in-line and block
     styles, and list and list item styles for arbitary XML elements.
     When I saw that CSS2 had additional features for handling tables,
     I immediately thought there would be property types for use with
     XML. Maybe they are there, and I cannot find them. If not, can
     they be added to the Display property, as in 'table',
     'head-row', body-row' and 'cell' shown below:

                Property name:
                       'display'
                Value:
                       block | inline | list-item | run-in | compact |
                       none   | table | head-row | body-row | cell
                Initial:
                       block
               Applies to:
                       all elements

     If something like this is not done, I fear that rendering XML
     tables will only be achievable if HTML element names are used, or
     some other nasty technique is adopted.

     Neil.

Neil Bradley - Author of The Concise SGML Companion.
neil at bradley.co.uk
www.bradley.co.uk

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)