Access Languages are Tied to Schemas

Jonathan Robie jwrobie at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 20 18:15:23 GMT 1997

At 12:20 PM 11/20/97 -0500, Joe Lapp wrote:
>Joe Lapp <jlapp at acm.org> wrote:
>>[...] Do we
>>expect general SGML/XML repositories to be powerful enough to allow
>>them to represent almost any domain-specific object model?
>
>I don't like how I worded the question here.  Let's try again: What
>sorts of object models do we want to be able to represent in SGML/XML?

Any object model, but with some limitations on the extent of the representation.

The following properties of object models are easily represented in SGML/XML:

o       Identity
o       State
o       Type

These properties are not easily represented:

o       Behavior (except for in languages that allow methods to be
represented as data, e.g. Java)
o       Encapsulation constraints

There are indirect methods for describing inheritance in SGML/XML, but they
are different from the inheritance mechanisms in OO languages.

SGML/XML can represent the data and identity portion of any object model
expressed in C++, Java, CORBA, etc., including the reference network.

Jonathan

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)