MS XML parser only works with IE...

Don Park donpark at quake.net
Tue Nov 25 00:14:27 GMT 1997

>The MSXML dependencies on Windows are apparently trivial and fixable.
>Equally important, the MSXML EULA grants the right to redistribute such
>modified code.  See the three letters (from the xml-dev mailing list)
>that I include at the end of this letter for more information.  What I'd
>like to see is someone post these fixes so that each person wanting
>the portable version doesn't have to make the changes by hand.  If
>anyone
>does this (clovett, you listening? :) and lets me know, I'll write it up
>in the news.

FYI, after writing the first of the three letter mentioned above, I
contacted Andrew Layman at MS and offered to help make MSXML completely
portable without performance sacrifices.  Both he and Chris Lovett liked the
idea and we worked hard to make it happen over a weekend.  There was never
any hesitation from them about this effort and I am convinced that there was
absolutely no ill will from them regarding peculiar 'features' of MSXML.
They thought they were neat features and got their ears chewed off for it.
All they needed was a gentle reminder instead of the slap they got.  Let us
not mix conspiracy theory with our judgement.

WORA version of MSXML is coming soon from Microsoft.  It will compile and
run on any Java platform.  It will take advantage of native libraries if
available without recompilation.  Its WORA without sacrifices.  Its WORA-FOW
(Write Once, Run Anywhere - Faster On Windows ;-p).

Don

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)