MS XML parser only works with IE...

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Nov 25 19:12:50 GMT 1997

Simon St.Laurent writes:

 > While working on XML: A Primer, I used the Alpha 1.0 MSXML to test
 > my code, aware of many of its difficulties. As I discovered when
 > 1.6 came out, it had let me wander outside the spec in a number of
 > key places (mixed declarations, for one) that took my code outside
 > of valid XML.  I've fixed it all now, but the experience has left
 > me extremely wary of tools that go beyond the standard,
 > intentionally or accidentally.

As I remember hearing it a few years back, one of the basic rules of
the Internet was to be conservative in what you produce and liberal in
what you accept.  With that in mind, I'd suggest using a very strict,
validating parser on the authoring side, like NSGMLS or NXP (I haven't
tried Lark).  On the production side, use whatever works for you.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Microstar Software Ltd.         dmeggins at microstar.com