Editing text

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 08:24:36 GMT 1997

At 16:27 28/11/97 +1100, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

>> From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter at ursus.demon.co.uk>
>
>> I assume there is no short cut...
>
>On the contrary, there *IS* a short cut: the most obvious one!
>
>Just treat the name as a token (i.e. terminated by whitespace or >,
>or any other delimiter if you want to be careful). Any valid XML will
>work with just that!

I think I had a brownout over this. I thought that it could be difficult to
find the balancing semicolon without scanning the NameChars. But rereading
the spec (e.g. 2.4) convinces me that there isn't a problem. [Perhaps I
thought that AT&T was now legal in PCDATA. I'm glad it isn't :-)]

But since the text is being *edited* it's probably a good thing to run
isNameChar() over new entities, tagNames, etc. JUMBO can just about think
as quickly as a human typing in.

	P.

But I think we need IckyLookup as a communal resource :-)

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)