XML-Data: advantages over DTD syntax?

Henry S. Thompson ht at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 15:54:22 BST 1997

Len writes:
>  Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>  >
>  Anyway, without responding to the details of our exchange, you
>  miss the point:  Does XML-Data offer more functionality?  If
>  so, then good.  If not, then why bother?  I thought it did,
>  but I could be wrong.

Why bother is because notation actually matters.  I repeat my previous
point:  why doesn't Java restrict itself to one boolean operator,
namely XOR?  All logical functions can be expressed with it.  Does
including AND, OR and NOT offer more functionality?  Since not, then
why bother?  Answer, because matching the notation to the intended use
improves understanding, maintainability and ease of realising design goals.

In the area of document grammar specification, XML-Data offers no
functionality which cannot be duplicated by extensive use of parameter
entities, or at worst tedious by-hand expansion.  But it provides that
functionality in a transparent (in some cases MUCH more transparent)
way, and in my view that makes it worth bothering.

>  > Note:  I am not now nor have I ever been a Microsoft employee, nor is
>  > Steve De Rose.  Microsoft paid for my trip to Redmond during which
>  > the foundations for the XML-Data document were laid, but they don't
>  > own or operate me.
>
>  Good to know.  I guess I should formerly swear my lack of
>  initiation in the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn as long
>  as we forswearing organizations out to conquer Middle Earth. ;-)

Yes, but what about the Trans-Bulgarian Women's Quiltmakers' Club? :-)

Honest, in 1967 this appeared along with 100s of other more plausible
organisations such as American Friends of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade
in the list on the back of the US Gov't Contractors' security
clearance form, as something membership in which you had to deny to
get the clearance.

ht

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)