Prototype OO was Re: Inheritance/defaulting of attrib

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Thu Oct 16 00:26:33 BST 1997

There are many ways that markup can touch OO. I want to point out that
we are talking about at least three different things:

 * inheritance and subclassing among XML element types -- I don't think
that this really has much to do with OO at all. I do think that the XML
standard should explicity support these features.

 * application-specific conventions for marking up OO patterns in XML
documents. This is what the prototype example seemed to do. I do not
think we need to nor should change the XML standard to support these
types of concepts, but they are interesting examples of XML modelling of
structures from other disciplines.

 * patterns for representing XML documents *in memory* *in applications*
(i.e. MVC, constraint-based, aggregation).

Perhaps I am the only one who got confused by the way the thread is
sliding between these without differentiation, but if not, hopefully
I've helped clarify it for someone.

 Paul Prescod

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)