Scripting and XML

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Sun Oct 19 03:52:06 BST 1997

XML at this point seems to be exceptionally well written for a model in which
the data is passive and gets processed by an outside application - the
parser/application combination.  It doesn't seem like it will work very well,
however, with a model that is rapidly growing more popular in the HTML world:
scripts included in the same document as the data.  While this blending of
data and processor is admittedly a little unusual, it is becoming standard
practice more and more often.  The W3C's Document Object Model proposals
explicitly include XML, leading me to plot out the development of programs
that take advantage of this powerful new tool.  (Or, at least it will be a
powerful new tools when they figure out what it should look like and someone
implements it.)

The rather gigantic problem I'm having is that scripting languages, including
ECMAScript/JavaScript, use all kinds of markup characters.  In their context,
a < character just means "less than".  I suppose I can use
<![CDATA[...script...]]> inside the SCRIPT tags and hope that the vendors
implement this properly, but it would be a heck of a lot easier to be able to
declare <!ELEMENT SCRIPT CDATA>.  I never thought I'd complain about the SGML
goodies that got dropped to make XML intelligible to ordinary humans and
parsers, but it's happened. This seems like an easy thing to fix, and
something that would bring XML more in line with other W3C projects.

Any thoughts?

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)