Scripting and XML

Simeon Simeonov simeons at allaire.com
Mon Oct 20 01:12:54 BST 1997

>Actually, I think that the situation is the opposite. The document
>object model finally allows you to refer to document elements from
>*outside* your document so that you have *less need* to directly mix
>scripts and code. Using DOM I can create a client-side program that
>takes an XML instance as input and returns XML as output. I can't do
>that with JavaScript as it exists today. The JavaScript "model" is
>textual replacement (which must, by definition, be "inline"). The DOM
>model is structural processing (which can be done "remotely").
>
>I expect that a few years from now this convention of putting markup and
>scripting cheek to cheek will have died out. It is just another face of
>the logical markup vs. presentational markup war The trend is from
>inline to external, just as with presentation.

This is a good direction. However, I see a potential inconvenience for
scripts that directly modify the document. Embedded scripts implicitly
identify the part of the document they operate on with their position.
External scripts will have to explicitly specify the part they operate on.

Regards,

Simeon Simeonov

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)