Scripting and XML

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Mon Oct 20 17:00:44 BST 1997

I suspect this thread has been beaten into the dirt.

(Comments addressed to Paul Prescod)

You and several other participants in this discussion seem to have some
convictions that I'm not likely to change. The emphasis is constantly on the
need for separating document content from all other participants in the
presentation and/or content of a document, whether they be formatting or
scripting.  While this may be admirable philosophically, in practice I suspect
it's going to make many tasks more complex, even in the long term.

Your interpretation of scriptlets is extremely limited. Microsoft has indeed
presented quick hacks to demonstrate their tools, not rich documents, but this
hardly means that scriptlets are intended purely for scripting.  They do
provide a better set of tools for componentizing scripts, but that's only half
the issue - at least if you believe their press releases.

Keeping markup as markup and script as script may seem attractive, but it
often does a very poor job when in situations that call for activity on the
user's desktop.  This can be as simple as expanding and collapsing outlines or
as complex as providing rich GUI interfaces in the browser environment.
Whether or not the XML community wants to do perform these tasks, XML offers
HTML developers a much better toolset for performing them and will undoubtedly
be applied to them.

Again, we'll see what happens in reality, when all the bozos get their hands
on this.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)