Name of HTML 4.0 successor ?

Ben Trafford btrafford at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 20 23:48:41 BST 1997

Ingo Macherius wrote:

> In preparation of a talk I wondered if there already is a name for an
> XML compatible HTML. HTML 4.0 surely is not syntactically compatible
> to XML productions, but I would wonder if there isn't work underway.
> Is it simply HTML 5.0, or HTML-XML ?
> --

	As I've been developing an XML DTD to provide the functionality of HTML
4.0 (now horrendously late - sigh) I've been using the working title of
HTML-XML, just as you suggest above. I don't think it's the W3C's
intention to replace HTML with XML, and I certainly would be surprised
if they made the HTML 5.0 (or even 4.0) DTD from XML. Although, come to
think of it, there probably wouldn't be a huge difference in the two
DTDs, in terms of what they can do.

	I vote for HTML-XML. It's faster than saying "an XML DTD to provide the
functionality of HTML 4.0."

--->Ben Trafford

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)