Character classification

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Thu Sep 4 17:33:34 BST 1997

At 04:54 PM 03/09/97 -0700, Chris Olds wrote:
> Is there any consensus on what form PCDATA or GI names
>should take when they are returned to the application?  On a related
>note, when do character entities get replaced - in the lexer or later
>on?  My reading of the draft is that the scanner must do the replacement
>if the examples of rescanning are to work.

Like Istvan says, Java chars and Strings.  However, you have to do
lazy evaluation; if you foolishly make every little chunk of text you
read into a String, you'll spend all your time in the Java String class
implementation, and none doing useful work.

Character entitities have to be replaced in two places, when you find
them in an entity definition and when you find them in free text or
an attribute value. -T.

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers