parsing xml-data schemas

Dave Carlson dcarlson at ontogenics.com
Mon Sep 8 21:31:16 BST 1997

I'm new to XML, but have been going through all the specs, papers, and old
mail list archives that I can find.  I am especially interested in the
metadata proposals, which seem to be centered around MCF and XML-Data.
Apparently, these are being combined into the Reference Data Framework, and
a secret meeting was held in Redmond 2 weeks ago.  Well, at least secret to
those of us who are not allowed access to the W3C working group :-(   So,
I'm left to guess.

I want to start building a prototype using XML-Data, and probably
Microsoft's XML Java parser.  Am I wasting my time building something to
this spec, or is the current RDF completely different?

Assuming that it's useful to proceed... I've created a small schema
according to xml-data and successfully parsed it using the DTD from Appendix
A.  My question (finally) is how can I use this schema to validate an XML
file that conforms to it?  After parsing the schema, should I convert it
within the XML processor to DTD objects, then proceed _as_if_ the schema
really originated from a DTD file?

It seems wrong to duplicate the existing validation logic that works for
DTD's and create another for schemas.  This is probably part of the argument
in support of those who say that the xml-data schema is a bad idea, and we
should write all schemas directly  in DTD syntax.  However, coming from an
artificial intelligence background, the idea of a metadata representation
language appeals to me.

Thanx for any thoughts or advice!
  Dave Carlson
  Ontogenics Corp.