XML & Catalogs

peat peat at erols.com
Fri Sep 26 01:17:12 BST 1997

Before you do this, we need to ask ourselves, is there or should there be a
significant difference in namespace and other mechanisms depending on use of
the object. Is there that much of a difference on how we describe an article;
say a "red sweater" if the item is in a catalog, stored in an object
repository or exchanged in a Purchase Order? Significant enough to split the
group?

Let me propose we introduce a collaborative means to keeping the collection
(which is still relatively small) of people together. The XML/EDI Group will
soon have this capability through its subgroups and via a generous donation
from outside corporation.  It should be up and running in a few weeks. Just a
thought, before splintering off the main path.

- Bruce

----------
Steven,

Nice to hear from someone who "gets it" regarding the impact of XML on future
usage & searchability of internet catalogs.

Since this topic has spilled over from the original meeting posting and
generated significant interest, I will request a listserv be established for
xml-catalog.  This will allow for application oriented discussions of XML
that are now related to development (XML-DEV) or EDI (XML-EDI) issues that
have their own listserv.

Patrick Gannon