please consider whether

Steven R. Newcomb srn at techno.com
Mon Sep 29 04:35:49 BST 1997

[Patrick Gannon:]

> Since this topic has spilled over from the original meeting posting
> and generated significant interest, I will request a listserv be
> established for xml-catalog.  This will allow for application
> oriented discussions of XML that are now related to development
> (XML-DEV) or EDI (XML-EDI) issues that have their own listserv.

Patrick -- Here is a note to post on the listserv. -- Steve

This note asks those in the online product catalog business to
consider whether they need XML to support SGML Architectures --
multiple architectural inheritance.  (Others may also find it
interesting.)

The designers of XML want to know why multiple architectural
inheritance is a feature that should remain unsupported, at least
temporarily.

If you want to use and benefit from the "SGML Architectures" notion
outlined in my earlier note (attached below), I believe you should now
consider (while you still have an option in the matter) whether you
want to be able to use XML for your company-internal "information
source code" for all the information that is the essence of your
company's value.  An ISO standard alternative, SGML/HyTime, is also
available for that purpose.

On the one hand, SGML/HyTime is one helluva strong set of paradigms,
of which XML and all the things currently present in or planned for
XML (linking, addressing, metadata) are a proper subset.  Together,
these paradigms put the information manager and owner in maximum
control of the cost of creating and maintaining information about
information.

On the other hand, XML will have a wider audience.  XML data will flow
across the internet to an awful lot of users (or so we think, anyway)
who won't have full SGML/HyTime capabilities in their systems any time
soon.

If, because your internal databases are limited in functionality to
the representational power of XML, your internal applications cannot
deliver the cost-cutting power of SGML/HyTime for creating and
maintaining massive amounts of n-dimensional (and n-dimensionally
interrelated) information, maybe that's ok because the potential for
higher code maintenance costs is worth the convenience of being able
to dump copies of sections of your metadata source code directly out
to the internet.  (Somehow the latter doesn't seem to me a very good
business idea, but that's for you to decide.)

You might be able to avoid having to make this decision early by
letting the w3c-xml-sig group know that your business applications
expect to benefit from multiple architectural inheritance a la SGML
Architectures, so you'd like to have XML support SGML Architectures
sooner, rather than later.

I'm not particular about whatever reason you may have for expressing
to the w3c-xml-sig group your interest (if any) in SGML Architectures;
I just think the online product catalog industry should consider doing
so, and very soon indeed.

I've already made clear my own reasons for bringing this issue up in
my earlier note.  For your convenience, I'm attaching it below (sans
some stuff I shouldn't have put in in the first place because it was
from an unpublished W3C discussion about XML).

-Steve

--
             Steven R. Newcomb   President
         voice +1 716 271 0796   TechnoTeacher, Inc.

*** Not as originally posted.  Unpublished W3C material has been deleted. ***