Comments on Section 2.6 of XML-Namespaces

james anderson James.Anderson at mecom.mixx.de
Wed Apr 1 06:01:04 BST 1998

the issue of 'hijacking' is orthogonal to that of naming.

in order for the example
 <Item HTML.a:href='mypage.html'>
to have any meaning, one would need to provide an attribute declaration for the
Item element. in which definition the desired relation is (re)established.
although i am at a loss as to why one would wish to perform this kind of
'deconstructive' element definition (i.e. i don't know why the wd example
  <Item T:Temp='5500'/>
matters? doesn't there have  to be an attribute list definition for Item, which
resolves the ambiguity?
remember, we're not dealing with architecture here, just names. )

if one is concerned about element / attribute integrity, then one doesn't
'hijack' attributes.
if, on the other hand, one needs to refer to attributes across namespaces, then
either qualification or mapping is necessary. the namespace wd proposes
qualification:
a) for eg., to augment attribute definitions (through definition in the internal
subset) for their use in their already defined element context one will need
unambiguous names. one could say that the namespace explicit in the element name
of an attlist has an implicit scope over the entire attlist declaration of the,
but that's not necessary
b) to specify matching criteria for a language such as xsl,  one needs to
specify the original namespace for attributes

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)