SAX: Java-Specific Question

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sat Apr 4 03:45:30 BST 1998

Here's a Java question.  Let's say that I have a class with a method

  public void parse (String publicId, String systemId, Reader reader)
    throws java.lang.Exception;

What will happen if the "java.io.Reader" class is not available on my
system (perhaps because I'm using a 1.0.2 browser), but I never invoke
this method (I'm assuming that I compiled my code under JDK 1.1 or JDK
1.2)?

I'm becoming convinced that we need to support character streams in
SAX, and I'm trying to figure out how to handle it in the Java
version -- I think that I've worked out pretty much everything else
now, except for a few minor details.

Thanks for any help,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca