When is an attribute an attribute?

len bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Tue Apr 7 02:38:36 BST 1998

Roy Tennant wrote:

> I've been trying to figure this out for a while with no success. It seems
> to me that there are several quite different ways one can encode
> information in XML. Are all of the following correct?

Yes.

> When and why would
> you choose one over another? Does it matter? Thank you for your indulgence
> as I puzzle out what must surely be readily apparent to most of you.

Ok, a DTD really helps this sort of discussion along, but
FWIW:

> Example 1:
> ---------
>
> <BOOK TITLE="The Call of the Wild" AUTHOR="London, Jack"\>

Use empty elements and attributes for tag bags, basically,
if the datum has no frequency and order requirements (only
occurs once somewhere in the attribute list).

NOTE:  I haven't looked to see if XML dropped the
SGML restriction on repeated values in attlist
decls.

> Example 2:
> ---------
>
> <BOOK AUTHOR="London, Jack">The Call of the Wild</BOOK>

Use this if you don't care that the string inside the
tags is only differentiated by the BOOK, that is,
semantically, there is no difference between this
and

<BOOK AUTHOR="London, Jack">Love that Wolf!!</BOOK>

or IOW, your application has to know that is a title.

> Example 3:
> ---------
>
> <BOOK>
>    <TITLE>The Call of the Wild</TITLE>
>    <AUTHOR>London, Jack</AUTHOR>
> </BOOK>

Use this when it is important to know there
is a title and author (i.e, this BOOK
HAS-A TITLE, HAS-A AUTHOR; the
string, The CALL of the WILD IS-A TITLE).
Given the element type declaration, you can tell which order
they should come in, are there multiple
authors, are there alternate titles, etc.
The semantic is application dependent.  For
a linking semantic, you might be counting
nodes inside the BOOK.  For rendering,
you might be assigning the font value
based on the context of the book element.

len

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)