Announcement: SAX Java Implementation (pre-release)

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Sat Apr 11 21:22:52 BST 1998

Tyler Baker wrote:

> > Also, the distinction between the two new parse methods looks very
> > Java-specific to me.
>
> The idea of character streams is for supporting streams which already handle the
> byte to UNICODE character translation for you.  I am not familiar with Python,
> but I assume there must be some sort of 16 bit wide character set that is Unicode
> compliant.  This I feel is all that David is trying to add to SAX, not something
> Java specific.

True, but "InputStream" and "Reader" are neither well-knowns ADT nor
well-defined interfaces outside of the Java world. Suppose a SAX client
and server are talking over a CORBA connection. What are the
requirements on the object passed to the parseInputStream( ) and
parseReader() methods (non-overloaded variants of the parse method).
Where are these requirements defined?

"Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that he had
been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year." - Timothy Burton, "James"

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)