XLINK discussion

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 16 17:01:43 BST 1998

At 00:43 13/04/98 -0400, Eve L. Maler wrote:
>Steve DeRose and I do track XML-Dev and other XML-related lists for XLink
>issues, but people should try to stick to XML-Dev's original mission of
>discussing implementation, and send any specific XLink comments and
>requests directly to us.
>
>Thanks,
>
>	Eve

Thanks Eve.

>At 04:58 PM 4/12/98 -0400, David Megginson wrote:
>>Daniel Pitti writes:
>>
>> > Is there a separate list for XLink discussion? Or is xml-dev the
>> > appropriate venue for now?

There are as yet relatively few implementations of XLink and since there
has been little experience with it so far it's certainly appropriate to
discuss the strategy of implementation.  Eliot Kimber wrote an extremely
valuable contribution last year (search the archive :-) which is worth
revisiting.

Personally I feel that XLink is one of the most powerful areas of the XML
family  and some generic tools would be extremely useful.  For example both
XML-data and RDF might benefit from being expressed in XLink if a link
processor were available. Is this reasonable?

I am certainly looking to use Xlink as the first choice for expressing
@relations' in science and technology - based on the hope that tools will
become available. A major advantage - as with all XML - is that it is much
more accessible to normal mortals than other approaches.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)