SAX: Method Name Collisions

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 16 17:11:13 BST 1998

At 10:12 13/04/98 -0400, David Megginson wrote:

>The first, "getAttributeListLength", is the ugliest.  It is simple to
>avoid this problem by creating a separate class for SAXAttributeList,
>rather than implementing it in the main driver -- what does everyone
>else think about this question?

I've been away for some days, so ignore this if you've come to a conclusion...

I have been gently struggling with the naming problem whilst developing
JUMBO2 which is now based on the SwingSet classes. I though about names
like jumbo.xml.Tree and so on, but rejected them in favour of a small
uniquifying prefix (XTree, etc.). This is rather similar to the swing use
of JTree. The likelihood of collision between Tree, Node, Element,
Attribute, and a few others is very high and the result is that there may
have to be lines of the form:
	jumbo.xml.Tree tree = new com.sun.java.swing.JTree(new
jumbo.xml.Node("Root"));
which is the appropriate way to uniquify them. The short names are
difficult to search for - searching for Tree in all files will return a
large number of unwanted hits.  Therefore I'm mildly in favour of SAXFoo.

I'm not passionate on this, but I also support Stroustrup's philosophy that
well devised names are often better than comments.  So
getAttributeListLength() may possibly avoid the use of a comment.

Also, where possible, anything that has the same 'feel' as the Java class
libraries is a help to learning.

As we all know this is a subjective matter and I'll trust David to make a
good job of it.

	P.
net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg