Announcement: SAX 1998-04-16 pre-release

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Fri Apr 17 04:31:09 BST 1998

There is a new SAX pre-release available at the following URLs:

Main interfaces:
  http://www.microstar.com/XML/SAX/New/saxjava-19980416.zip

Drivers for Lark and MSXML:
  http://www.microstar.com/XML/SAX/New/saxdrivers-19980416.zip

Demos:
  http://www.microstar.com/XML/SAX/New/saxdemos-19980416.zip

Once again, I am announcing this pre-release only to XML-Dev.

*******
Changes
*******

There are some significant changes in since the 1998-04-10
pre-release, mostly the result of discussion on XML-Dev:

- stripped "SAX" prefix from all class names except SAXException (and
  SAXParseException)

- added a new core interface org.xml.sax.CharacterStream

- added a new core class SAXParseException

- added three optional Java-specific classes:
  org.xml.sax.helpers.ParserFactory,
  org.xml.sax.helpers.ReaderAdapter, and
  org.xml.sax.helpers.CharacterStreamAdapter

- reworked EntityResolver to use two methods: resolveSystemId() and
  openEntity()

- changed parse() methods in Parser interface (InputStream removed,
  and Reader replaced with CharacterStream)

- changed default behaviour for warnings and recoverable errors in
  HandlerBase to no-op

- updated much documentation

Thank you all for your help with the last pre-release -- I will look
forward to more comments and suggestions.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Microstar Software Ltd.         dmeggins at microstar.com