Inheritance in XML

Matthew Gertner matthew at praxis.cz
Mon Apr 20 19:42:37 BST 1998

Paul,

Let me try to explain at least what I am envisioning as far as the putative
inheritance mechanism which I described is concerned. I am going to get
myself into trouble by saying this, but SGML was an attempt to avoid doing
5% of what is necessary (i.e. to do everything), and this led 10 years down
the line to the creation of XML. The same applies to HyTime. This doesn't
mean in any way, shape or form that either SGML or HyTime are not wonderful
things. They are absolutely amazing. But in many, many instances what is
needed is a more simple language/mechanism/etc. which only does 5% (I'd
rather bump this up to at least 50% personally...) but which are more
approachable. Isn't this what XML is all about?

A very uncharitable view (which I would certainly not endorse :-) would be
to say that you are setting the bar very high, and then rejecting ideas
which at least one person in this list thinks would be of great value
because they don't reach the level of functionality that you are imposing.

I don't get your point entirely in regards to subtyping and inheritance. Let
me explain how I understand the conventional OO usage of these terms.
Inheritance means that some thing gets some of its attributes/methods from a
base thing. Of course this doesn't necessarily make the derived thing a
subtype of the base thing: it may just inherit data members and not
interfaces. Subtyping means that some thing can be treated as another thing
in some cases because it shares at least one of that things interfaces. So
what I was describing is definitely inheritance and should reasonably be
considered subtyping as well (although we aren't actually talking about
interfaces).

It seems to me that your objection to this boils down to the fact that you
also want to subtype without inheritance. I am approaching the problem from
a different standpoint. I appreciate your reaction to the extent that you
and many other people who know far more about these issues than I have given
years of thought to them and not come up with an entirely satisfactory
solution. I started thinking about how to subtype content models (through
inheritance) in an entirely flexible way and gave up almost immediately.
It's a hard, hard problem. On the other hand, C++ has gotten away with
providing subtyping only through inheritance (you mentioned that it can but
I can't figure out how - please enlighten), and it's still a pretty useful
little language.

We have the advantage now of being at a new frontier: XML. There aren't many
standard XML DTDs to speak of, and certainly none that are built to exploit
subtyping through inheritance. However, if such a mechanism existed (and as
I say, it isn't rocket science), I truly believe that it would be quite
feasible to design small "component DTDs" which could be usefully extended
without needing to map element types or get into the guts of the content
model.

What I was implying in my example about CML were 3 things: 1) The processor
has access to the base DTD. 2) The processor has access to the derived DTD.
3) The processor knows about the inheritance (which is also a subtyping :-)
mechanism being used. This would enable it to get at the content of the base
element type without knowing what to do with the content of the derived
element type. This can't be done with cut and paste. There is some scope for
ambiguity here, but I can't think of any examples that do anything really
useful, so they could just be forbidden (i.e. sticking a (foo*) in front of
a content model that starts with its own (foo*)). In your example, you would
need to extend the processor to deal with images in titles, but at least it
wouldn't break older processors, which would still display the text of the
title.

So we really are talking about two different things. HyTime does a great job
with things like mapping element type names. It isn't going to die or go
away, and companies like Boeing and Bombadier who need that kind of
functionality and can afford to invest in it and climb the learning curve
are going to chose to use it. All that I'm saying is that analogous to the
way that XML tries to broaden the market for a lot of the great ideas in
SGML by simplifying it, we need a simple inheritance mechanism (that
implements subtyping) to be used with XML. Once again, this only makes sense
if DTDs are designed to take advantage of this mechanism and if there is
some central body for gathering these DTDs and their associated
documentation and ensuring that overlap doesn't occur. All I want is to be
able to do is scoot over to the DTD repository site, check for a standard
DTD for invoices, grab it, extend it with the two or three extra attributes
and/or contained element types that I need and use it, while still being
able to use any tools that are designed to work with the original invoice
DTD. I truly believe that this is where XML will really start to fulfill its
promise.

But then I may be crazy...

Matthew