Abbreviated end tags found in a XML file

John E. Simpson simpson at polaris.net
Mon Apr 20 21:40:47 BST 1998

At 12:01 PM 4/20/98 -0700, Bryan Gilbert wrote:
>At this site
>http://www.microsoft.com/msdn/sdk/inetsdk/samples/databind/composer.xml
>you will find a XML file that contains content like this:
	<snip>
><COMPSR_FIRST>Hector</>
	<snip>
>Notice that end tags do NOT contain the element name.
>>From my reading of the XML spec this file is not well formed.
>
>But is it acceptable?

If it's not at least well-formed then no, it's not acceptable. :)  I
believe those examples resulted from an abortive experiment on Microsoft's
part to super-minimize the closing tags, but they have since come back to
the One True path. The end tag of the <COMPSR_FIRST> tag should therefore
be </COMPSR_FIRST>. The example (and others like it) are about 3-4 months
out of date.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)