Nesting XML based languages and scripting languages

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Thu Apr 23 05:40:55 BST 1998

At 07:20 PM 4/22/98 -0700, Michael Amster wrote:
>This does not scale to arbitrary embedded languages (OFX, CFD, RFD).  The
>only solution we currently see is to be well formed and run without a DTD.
>We would really like to have a DTD so that we can take advantage of
>validation and authoring tools.

SGML architectures solve the validation problem. For an example of an
ideosyncratic document that intermixes my own element types with those
defined by the DSSSL standard as well as DSSSL-syntax functions, see
"http://www.isogen.com/papers/litprogarch/litprogarch.html", _An Approach
to Literate Programming With SGML Architectures_.

Within the next week or so, ISOGEN will be releasing a modification of SP
(and therefore all the SP-based tools) that recognizes the proposed PI form
of architecture use declaration. This makes it trivially easy to do
complete architecture-based processing of XML documents using any SP-based
tool (including Jade, which we are also enhancing to enable construction of
architectural groves with the sgml-parse function).

Cheers,

E.
--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)