SAX needs from our point of view

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Thu Apr 23 23:56:07 BST 1998

At 02:32 PM 4/23/98 -0700, Michael Amster wrote:

>		<![CDATA[
>			This is data with &references; which should not be parsed!
>		]]>
>			This is just text

>When this is reported up from a SAX parser, we do not differentiate between
>text and the CDATA, but let's say that we want to output the subset of
>arbitrary XML back out from our DOM or other object structure:

So, whenever you're going to output text into an XML document,
and that text contains < or &, then you have to escape it.
If you're going to output something and you *know* it's going
to contain neither child elements nor references, there's nothing
wrong with enclosing it in
just to be sure.

CDATA sections in SAX are nowhere near the 80-20 point.  Time to stop
talking and ship. -T.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)