Open Standards Processes

Matthew Gertner matthew at praxis.cz
Fri Apr 24 17:40:33 BST 1998

Simon,

Your argument is convincing, but doesn't explain why open access is not
given to works-in-progress for consultation by interested parties (i.e.
read-only access). I appreciate the need of the W3C to avoid involving too
many chefs in cooking up its standards, for exactly the reasons you mention.
I also appreciate the need of the organization to finance its activities.
However, the pricing scheme is pretty unfair. A company with $49 million in
revenue can join as an affiliate member for about 0.01% of revenues (and the
fee for full membership is pretty insignificant for the Microsofts and IBMs
of the world), whereas for, say, a small Web startup in Prague the affiliate
membership fee represents a few month's salary for the average programmer
(life is cheap out here...).

Anyone interested in setting up a corporation whose only purpose is to join
the W3C and "hire" interested individuals for a reasonable fee? (evil :-).

Matthew