Open Standards Processes

Jon Bosak Jon.Bosak at eng.Sun.COM
Sat Apr 25 23:02:24 BST 1998

[Matthew Gertner:]

| Your argument is convincing, but doesn't explain why open access is not
| given to works-in-progress for consultation by interested parties (i.e.
| read-only access).

Sorry I missed this earlier; there's a very simple answer.  The
specification work unavoidably reveals details about product plans.
That's why there are confidentiality restrictions.  Make access open
to everyone and the big companies won't play.  (Please don't tell me
why they should think differently or whether this position makes
sense.  I'm just reporting the facts.)

Jon

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)