Open Standards Processes

Lisa Rein lisarein at finetuning.com
Sun Apr 26 09:40:38 BST 1998

They can pay their money and get to say they're in the club, ok fine.

But the XML Working Group is pretty full.  And I'd hate to see it fill
up and get bogged down.  I wouldn't want people to think all you have to
do it join and -- pick your working group.

Also I really don't feel like XML was held up.  On the contrary...looks
like Namespaces got rushed...

and what about people like Henry Thompson and James Clark (insert the
people I should put here) -- they played an enormous part in XML's
development (and the did it for peanuts :-)

And what about many of the W3C employees -- they don't profit from
software sales - I'm not gonna name names -- but some of these people
--  they're working 80 hours a week  -- and it's not the most glamourous
work they're doing.  But there's a sense of commitment to this Web
interoperability thing -- a genuine responsibility to finish what was
started and make sure it gets done right -- and even if no one
appreciates ....now....

$500 memberships are just going to cloud the issues.

And as far as most of the press goes.  Most of them don't read the specs
NOW....even AFTER they're done...so I wouldn't want to see a $500 W3C
site-access membership just get written in to CNETs budget every year or
anything like that! (shudder)

Let's get back to more intersting....and beautiful...and magical
things....

like....

architectural forms...:-)

lisa