Is MSXML pure Java?

Ray ray at guiworks.com
Tue Apr 28 18:16:35 BST 1998

Hi all,

I just installed it to check it out and I noticed that it installs
a DLL. It also doesn't come in a standard jar or zip file,
but uses an installer which appends to the Microsoft Java VM
classes.zip file in \winnt\java\classes. In order words, it
seems too close and comfy with the Microsoft VM which scares me
into thinking that perhaps it uses one of MS's horible extensions
to tie it to IE/Windows.

Is it non-pure? Or is the DLL stuff just some kind of ActiveX/DSO
bridge junk?

The docs aren't JavaDoced either :(, but it does appear to
have its own Object Model which seems suspiciously like
DOM (which is understandable since MS is one of the submitters),
but different enough to be confusing.  Any word whether
MSXML will eventually support DOM native?

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)