SAX 1.0beta: Three bugs so far

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Apr 30 02:46:06 BST 1998

*PLEASE* send in your SAX 1.0beta bug reports, documentation
corrections, or requests for clarification as soon as possible.

So far, aside from several useful documentation corrections and
requests for clarification, I have received three reports of what I
consider to be SAX bugs rather than feature-change requests.  If
anyone disagrees with my interpretation of these, please let me know:

BUG #1: SAXException extends java.io.IOException

   This was not part of my final design: it is a relic from an earlier
   draft, and should have been eliminated.  I have corrected
   SAXException.java so that the SAXException class extends
   java.lang.Exception.

BUG #2: Parser.setLocale takes only one String argument

   As will quickly become apparent, I am not an expert in
   localisation.  I have discovered that localisation requires both a
   language code _and_ a country code, so I have changed the interface
   prototype to

     public abstract void setLocale (String language, String country)
       throws SAXException;

   Does this look correct?  Would people prefer that I use the
   java.util.Locale class?

BUG #3: The ParserFactory helper class uses the system property
        "sax.parser"

   This is a Java-specific class, so it should follow Java's
   conventions for system-property names.  The property for specifying
   the default parser class is now "org.xml.sax.parser".

The most important documentation clarification comes for the
InputSource class: I have made it clear that an InputSource object
provided by the application belongs to the application, and that the
parser should not modify it (by filling in InputStreams or Readers,
for example).  The parser is, of course, free to create its own
InputStream objects for internal use.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca