Is anybody working on ...

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Thu Apr 30 02:58:28 BST 1998

Murray Maloney wrote:

> However, neither the SGML standard nor the XML specification
> "encourage" you to adopt this position.

It is certainly the case that SGML was designed specifically to allow the
separation of formatting and abstraction. That's easy to verify. It is
also the case, in my opinion, that the features provided in SGML encourage
this position in the same way that the features of Java encourage
multiplatform, networked development. I also believe that there is
non-normative introductory text in the SGML standard to that effect, but I
don't have my copy handy right now so I coudl be wrong on that.

Still, it isn't wrong to use Java in a way that is tied to a particular
platform nor to use SGML in a way that is tied to a particular formatter.
I think that we agree on that central point.

"Perpetually obsolescing and thus losing all data and programs every 10
years (the current pattern) is no way to run an information economy or
a civilization." - Stewart Brand, founder of the Whole Earth Catalog
http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/10124.html

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)