Off track

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Thu Apr 30 13:32:58 BST 1998

Marcus Carr wrote:

> XML is a colonialist's manifesto. Although colonialism has never been ranked as
> any sort of a sucess in hindsight, a colonialist might just be a frontrunner of
> the inevitable tide. It might not be an ideal scenario, but it's not going away...

Well, now we're getting really off track, but I think that XML does more
than any comparable Web specification to allow linguistic minorities to
maintain their language in the face of the other, inevitable changes like
mobility and cheap communication. XML is not the frontrunner of cultural
colonialism -- it is a moderating factor (albeit a small one).

"Perpetually obsolescing and thus losing all data and programs every 10
years (the current pattern) is no way to run an information economy or
a civilization." - Stewart Brand, founder of the Whole Earth Catalog
http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/10124.html

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)