White Space

Portillo, Christina Alice.Portillo at PSS.Boeing.com
Sat Aug 1 00:15:37 BST 1998

In reading 2.10 Whitespace I don't come away with a clear picture what
whitespace is and isn't being passed on through the processor to an
application. Can someone clarify this for me?

Question 1:
	"In editing XML documents, it is often convenient to use "white
space" (spaces, tabs, and blank lines, denoted by the nonterminal S in
this specification) to set apart the markup for greater readability.
Such white space is typically not intended for inclusion in the
delivered version of the document."

Although insignificant white space was not intended for inclusion does
it all get passed through the processor anyway?

Question 2:
	"An XML processor must always pass all characters in a document
that are not markup through to the application."

Is the white space added "to set apart the markup for greater
readability" considered markup? Does it get passed through the
processor?

Question 3:
	"A validating XML processor must also inform the application
which of these characters constitute white space appearing in element
content."

Do I understand correctly, that although the application is informed of
this white space in element content, all this white space is still
passed on?

Christina Portillo
Product Definition and Image Technology

The Boeing Company               Phone: 425.237.3351
PO Box 3707   M/S 6H-AF       Fax:     425.237.3428
Seattle, WA  98124-2207         christina.portillo at boeing.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)