External DTD Grammar

Chris Hubick maillist at chris.hubick.com
Tue Aug 4 21:13:19 BST 1998

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, John Cowan wrote:

> > How do other parsers deal with this?  A PEReference preprocessor?  A
> > preprocessor is hard, because what your preprocessing depends on the
> > results of the actual processing that would occur after the preprocessor
> > finished.
>
> Why so?

	Because you can use a PEReferences to form a PEDecl, and you
need to have processed a PEDecl before a PEReference to it can be
processed.  So I can't just scroll (unidirectionally) through a whole
document just processing PEReferences, because I need to have processed
the PEDecl's for those first, and I cant just scroll through processing
PEDecl's, because they could be created using PEReferences.  All I am
saying is that this is hard, not easy.

---
Chris Hubick
mailto:chris at hubick.com