Namespaces !

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 5 00:00:52 BST 1998

At 15:17 04/08/98 -0400, John Cowan wrote:

>Okay.  Do we really need UniversalName as a *class*, or is it sufficient
>(as I continue to believe) to represent it as a String, possibly
>interned?  If the latter, then my ParserFilter approach will work
>fine, returning all element names in the universal form of
>URI + delimiter + localPart (where URI can be null), and all
>attribute names in the form URI + delimiter + localPart for
>global attributes, and URI + delimiter + elementLocalPart + delimiter
>+ localPart for local attributes.

I think that UniversalName should carry the prefix in case the application
wants it.
I also have a getNamespace() associated with it.

>> If SAX  can (a) process the minimisation completely and (b) return
>> Namespaces for the document and (c) return a universal name for each
>> Element and Attribute then I think I shall be very happy. From what various
>> people have said it seems fairly straightforward.
>
>Using my ParserFilter approach, of course, no parsers need to change
>at all to support namespaces: it becomes an *application* issue,
>but supported by a *universal* piece of machinery.  Ditto with
>inherited attributes generally.

I deliberately didn't look at this, because I was aware that the new NS
draft was coming up and I had to be very careful what I said. Enough people
have been thinking about namespaces that I hope we can make rapid progress
in how to implement them. Personally I want SAX to sort them all out for me
:-)

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg