Namespace Comments

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Wed Aug 5 16:30:52 BST 1998

Charles Frankston wrote:

> Yes, a syntax virtually identical to yours, that allowed multiple namespace
> declarations in a single attribute was considered.  The resulting syntactic
> problems swayed the WG away from that approach.  (Some of the issues -- you
> now need an internal quoting mechanism, or a careful proscription on the
> legal characters in a URI, in order to allow proper separation of the pairs.
> It gets even messier to come up with a syntax to declare the default
> prefix.)

Space (0x20) is clearly proscribed in both URIs and NCNames, and could
have been used.  (Indeed, I am leaning toward using it in the next
version of NamespaceFilter.)  In addition, a chosen non-ASCII character,
perhaps represented by a numeric entity reference, would have done the
trick, since URIs only allow ASCII in the external representation,
and Names allow only a small subset of the full Unicode repertoire.

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)