John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Wed Aug 5 18:33:26 BST 1998

Lars Marius Garshol scripsit:

> I agree, and that's the same as in my proposal. Look at it again: all
> Maps are processed before any Delegates. The order within the catalog
> is the last sorting criterion.

I have adopted this rule (Maps before Delegates) in my 0.2 draft
at http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/XML/XCatalog.html .

> I'm uneasy about it myself, for exactly the same reasons, but I think
> that this will sometimes be needed, especially with DTDs. What if
> you're parsing a document retrieved over HTTP and it uses an explicit
> SYSTEM literal to refer to a DTD, also with HTTP, only the DTD URL
> just gives you a 404? Or you want to use the DTD modified with
> architectural forms declarations, or modified in some other way?

Indeed.  I now define it as an optional feature of XCatalogs: a
conformant processor need not do Remaps.

> This means that if you try resolving "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN"
> you'll get "HTML32.dtd", and not be referred to the "htmlcatalog"
> catalog file. If you try resolving any other FPI starting with
> "-//W3C//DTD HTML" you'll be referred to the htmlcatalog.

Quite right.  However, if the "htmlcatalog" file does not help you,
you do *not* get returned to the original catalog or its successors
(via Catalog entries) to search further. Once delegated, always
delegated.

Please read my new draft and let me know what you think.

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)