Deterministic behavior in processors

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Wed Aug 5 19:13:28 BST 1998

David Brownell wrote:

> Not quite -- it's always an "error" to not have a DTD when
> you're validating.  But it's not a "fatal error", and it's
> allowed (in fact, typical) to continue processing.

Hmm.  You are right and I was wrong.  A DTD-less document
will provoke Element Valid, Attribute Value Type, and
Notation Declared validation errors.

Note that clause 1.2 says validation errors should be
reported at user option, whereas clause 5.1 says validation
errors must be reported, period.

I note that "fatal errors" are of only three kinds:  failure to be
WF, an encoding declaration specifying an encoding the processor
cannot handle, and disallowed entity references (no unparsed entity
refs, no general entity refs in the DTD, no external entity refs in
attribute values).

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)