Expanded names are not enough

James Clark jjc at jclark.com
Thu Aug 6 10:42:36 BST 1998

Don Park wrote:

> Looks like namespaces might have serious problems with XSL.

Why do you say that? They work just fine with XSL as far as I can see.
A namespace processor is going to have functions that it calls to expand
element type names and qualified attribute names.  All that's needed is
that the namespace processor, in addition to calling these functions to
expand strings that it knows to be element type names and attribute
names, make these functions available to applications so that
applications can call them to expand strings that the application knows
to be element type names and attribute names.

I suspect there will be a similar issue with XPointers. If I say:

  href="http://...#descendant(17,foo:bar)"

I would expect that the expanded element type names to be matched, not
the prefixes.  That would mean that to interpret the XPointer, an
application would need the namespace prefix to namespace URI mapping in
effect for the element to which href attribute is attached.

James

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)