PEReferences in comments

Ron Bourret rbourret at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Aug 6 22:52:39 BST 1998

> However, it leads to the
> question:  is the sequence "%foo;" in a comment, where "foo" is not
> a known parameter entity, an error?  Clearly, I say, it is not an
> error, but I cannot produce any warrant for this.

David Brownell's answer was the most palatable:

"PE references are to be expanded in various places including
markup declarations ... but comments aren't declarations.  See
the paragraph before rule [28] and ignore the "markupdecl"
construct, which could have been better named ("dtdcontent"
or somesuch)."

It also excludes expanding PEReferences in PIs and IGNORE sections.

-- Ron

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)