Namespaces: silly question

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Fri Aug 7 15:54:11 BST 1998

And David Megginson writes:

>Neither the original nor the new version of the namespaces spec was
>designed to deal with DTD composition.  It is possible to write a DTD
>that deals with specific, constrained uses of namespaces (and even
>hides the namespace machinery in #FIXED attribute values), but it is
>not possible to combine DTD fragments arbitrarily.

This may be an area in which XSchema, which is still evolving to meet the
needs of the namespace spec, has an advantage.  ns information, as well as
prefixes, can be coded into the XSchema, making it possible for validation
against an XSchema to consider namespaces 'in the original' without having to
necessarily compromise element names or curse the existence of prefixes.

Sound good?

Element declarations coming up next...

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)