XSchema question

Don Park donpark at quake.net
Fri Aug 7 17:20:06 BST 1998

>somebody have a similar idea to mine :-) Don, you are certainly not
>alone in this world ! Now I would like to contribute some of my 2c :-)....

That is impossible because the size of my ego does not leave enough room for
others.  <g>

>>You are right but it makes perfect sense for transitory documents
>>which exists only while it is moving from one place to another.
>>Ability to redefine default attribute values should be enough of a
>>benefit I think.
>
>Do you have an example of this Don ?

Yes.  Turn your TV on and pick any live news program.  Think of what you are
looking at as a XML document created out of hundreds of multimedia resources
and news reports.  You can record the news program and play it back but you
are not recreating the up to the minute decision making.

Another example would be the XML-based MUD session.  Think of a MUD game
played over time as a single document that is so complex that you can only
consume specific slices of it.  What you read depends on positions of
characters, state of objects, what each active object do, and what events
occur.  Capture the output of a MUD session and you got a transitory
document.

>Also I think it makes a lot of sense with regards to
>schema evolution. I think this theory will give a lot of inputs for
>the design of an evolvable system. I'm working on this and have
>also got some papers in the last WWW8 and SCI'98 conferences. We
>do have some believers ! :-) As people are now free to create their
>own DTDs I think we would expect to have many DTDs created even in
>the same domain. The XSA and OSD just posted here is one example. Why
>don't we reused the elements that have been defined in other DTDs ?
>Why don't we have OO in XSchema so we can inherit features from other
>DTDs ?... And the problem of old XML document with new (dynamically
>generated) DTD that Peter mentioned in the log file example can
>probably be resolved using the conformal and polymorphism rules. And
>the dynamic schema will come in to automate the evolution process...

To me, DTD is synonymous with the Dodo bird.  Its extinction, as well as the
extinction of Dodo bird hunters (DTD writers), is inevitable.  Document
designers and data sculpters cometh...

Don Park

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)