XSchema question

Marcus Carr mrc at allette.com.au
Sat Aug 8 13:49:42 BST 1998

Don Park wrote:

> Better tools and mediums will free us from that and allow
> us to concentrate
> on semantics and not the syntax.  At that point, styles
> will become more
> important.  That was all I was saying.

I'm probably just touchy about this because it's the second
time this week (in different places) that it's come up, but
I think that most DTD designers feel that they are covering
as many bases as they can, given the perhaps limited
knowledge they may have about how the data will eventually
be used. Syntax isn't really a big part of DTD creation; the
majority of the effort currently goes into data analysis. I
agree completely that better tools will make life easier for
all of us, but that extends to those who don't really
understand what they're doing as well as those who do. Those
who rely on flash tools over underlying knowledge to solve
their problems may still ultimately be disappointed.

Lou Reynolds (former substantial shareholder in EBT (now
Inso)) left us with a great line when he was in Australia a
few years ago - "Another year and we'll all be drinking
champagne out of fire hoses". While I continue to believe
that this will be the case, it's hard to forget that it was
uttered by one who is no longer in the game ... :-)

--
Regards

Marcus Carr                  email:  mrc at allette.com.au

Allette Systems (Australia)  email:  info at allette.com.au
Level 10, 91 York Street     www:
http://www.allette.com.au
Sydney 2000 NSW Australia    phone:  +61 2 9262 4777
                             fax:    +61 2 9262 4774

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)