Namespaces and XML validation

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Tue Aug 11 03:50:37 BST 1998

And Peter Murray-Rust writes:
>Subset?

Have to admit, I'm falling toward the subset camp.  I talk a lot about 'simple
XML', which is just the instance syntax without declarations of any kind
except the XML one of course.  I tried writing about the layer in between that
and what I consider the 'meat' of validation, elements and attributes, and
can't say I was happy, though I completed the exercise.

I'll stick with XML 1.0 - all this time figuring out its quirks, and I'll
still admit to liking it - but I can certainly understand why a lot of people
could get along with just a subset.  I'd have been a lot more comfortable with
a three layer spec, for

-instance syntax
-structural declarations
-minimization declarations

But I can always pray for that next time around.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)