Availability of WG and SIG archives (was Re: Namespaces and XML validation)

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 11 17:06:11 BST 1998

At 15:59 11/08/98 +0200, james anderson wrote:
>Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>>
>> At 12:11 11/08/98 +0200, james anderson wrote:
>>
>> I have considerable sympathy with this request and suggest that if anyone
>> on the WG reads this, they might consider pressing this inside the W3C.
>
>sympathy is nice (thank you) - i'm more concerned with the legitimacy and
>quality of the arguments in this forum and with the quality of the software
>which i produce. of which the latter depends to some extent (at least wrt.
>xml) on the former. thus my tenacity.

To make it clear - I have no power other than that of the plebs. (i.e. I
cannot release the material). I have been very conscious of the fact that
many people of this list have offered services to the XML community and
have done this without full knowledge of the namespace arguments. I think
they have shown remarkable discipline. I agree it makes it difficult to
have a full discussion if people cannot be made aware of previous
arguments. I am conscious that having offered the services of this list for
help with namespace implementation there are these potential constraints to
finding innovative solutions.

>i am at a point where, should the present namespace wd eventually be
ratified,
>it would leave me no option, but to produce non-conforming software, if said
>software is to function adequately. not because i am at odds with the drafts
>goals, and not because there are inherent inadequacies in either
namespaces or
>dtd's, but because the present draft describes an encoding and suggests
>implementation mechanisms which are incomplete wrt its own stated goals.

My own view (which I stated to the SIG) was that the goals weren't clear
enough. Unlike many other drafts there are no 10 golden rules against which
to measure the draft.

>furthermore, for reasons which i cannot fathom, the draft simply stops short
>of providing the basis for what would be sufficient mechanisms. (the initial
>questions are up on xml-names-issues)

Thanks. I hope you get some feedback.

>XSchema's, XML-Data, and Document Content Descriptions may well provide
>features additional to XML/DTD encoding at some point in the future. since,
>however, the respective proposals either do not, at least in their present
>versions, provide adequate support for the particular problem of
>disambiguating names, or depend on the support of the base xml encoding, i do
>not believe the arguments, to wait for these successors.

I have no background on XML-Data and DCD, but XSchema people only got news
of 1998-08-02 on that date and I think they have done incredibly well to
reconfigure.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg