Java class != XML entity

Patrice Bonhomme Patrice.Bonhomme at loria.fr
Tue Aug 11 20:30:18 BST 1998

"David G. Durand" dgd at cs.bu.edu said:
] The equivalent to this policy for XML would be for the "minimization
] declarations" to be local to the _entity_. This idea was discussed,
] but found lacking. The equivalent to the old mechanism would be if a
] declaration in one storage unit (Java file) could affect code in other
] storage units (Java files). In XML, under the original proposal, the
] root entity was privileged and the only one that could declare
] prefixes; no way was provided to prevent those prefixes from colliding
] with prefixes in other external entities.

Hmm and what about Element, Attribute and even Entity declarations within an
external subset DTD? (i've got in mind the pizza model of the TEI DTD). The
XML REC says that "If the same entity is declared more than once, the first
declaration encountered is binding;" (4.2 Entity Declarations). Why can't we
make the same kind of binding for NS prefixes ?

"David Megginson" david at megginson.com said:
] Reasonable people may disagree: many of us believe (from SGML
] experience, especially) that entities are simply slightly-constrained
] storage units with no other special significance -- if Java had
] #include files, then those would be the equivalents of XML entities.

I fully agree with you:

	"An XML document is an XML document !"

I quote Lou Burnard who used to say that "an SGML document is an SGML
document" talking about entities and document fragments in SGML.

A Bientôt !

Pat.

  bonhomme at loria.fr               |      Office : B.228
  http://www.loria.fr/~bonhomme   |      Phone  : 03 83 59 30 52