wd-xml-names: external dtd subsets (and external entities in general)

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Tue Aug 11 22:43:12 BST 1998

At 10:30 PM 8/11/98 +0200, james anderson wrote:
>extent n. the interval of time during which a reference to an object, a
>binding, an exit point, a tag, a handler, a restart, or an
>environment is defined.
>
>scope n. the structural or textual region of code in which references to an
>object, a binding, an exit point, a tag, or an environment (usually
>by name) can occur.
>
>They are not 100% adequate, as it is not clear how they apply to attribute
>declarations, for which the "spatial or textual region" is unclear.

The structural or textual (you say "spatial", why?) region *is* clear;
it's the scope of the element.  Which leaves me with the word I didn't
understand before; what do you mean by the "extent" of namespace/prefix
binding?  Are you arguing that we should write temporal dependency
into the spec, i.e. say that <x xmlns:foo="http://bar"> means that
"foo" is bound to "http://bar" and that that binding lasts until the
end of the universe?  Or until 31.82 seconds have passed?  Obviously
I'm grasping at straws. -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)