Doctype dec and Namespaces

Henry S. Thompson ht at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Fri Aug 14 16:31:18 BST 1998

Peter Jones <peterj at wrox.com> writes:

> I've just been looking at the Namespaces WD of 2-Aug-98
> and I saw the following:
>
> doctypedecl ::=  '<!DOCTYPE' S QName (S ExternalID)? S? ('[' (markupdecl
> | PEReference | S)* ']' S?)? '>'
>
> I notice that a QName occurs in the definition. Does this mean that a
> Namespace which is global for the (presumably valid) document is
> declared between the <?xml version="1.0" ?> and the doctype decl.?

Nope.  The QNames in the prolog are all interpreted as atoms for now.
Namespace declarations are ONLY allowed on actual elements.
The interaction of namespaces and validation has not yet really been
addressed:  wait for an update to the XML recommendation itself for
that, I expect.

The best short authoritative description of all this is in David
Megginson's message to this list on 11 August (Message-Id:
<199808112127.RAA01625 at unready.megginson.com>),
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/9808/0395.html.

ht
	    Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht at cogsci.ed.ac.uk